Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

The Vehicle Registration Payment Portal is now live for passenger carriers.

The SC Broadband Advisory Council will meet virtually on Wednesday, October 11, 2023, at 10:00am.  Register Here | Learn More

Transportation FAQs

How can I determine if a moving or passenger carrier is certified?

Ask them for their PSC/ORS certificate number and call the PSC/ORS to verify this number. Their certificate number should also be located on each side of their vehicles.

What should I do if I suffer damages to my household goods during the move?

First, unpack all boxes and inspect goods as soon as possible. If damages are present, ask the carrier for an insurance claim form immediately. File the damage claim form immediately with the carrier.

What insurance questions should I ask the moving company/carrier?

Always ask about the limits of coverage. Also ask about additional coverage and pricing.

What if I suffer damage to my dwelling during the move?

Ask the carrier for a claim form under their general liability policy. The ORS monitors automobile liability and cargo policies.

What should I expect during a walk-through or during the estimating phase of the move?

A moving company representative should come out and visually inspect your household goods and physical location and make an inventory and assessment prior to quoting your move. Both you and the carrier should note any existing damage to your goods prior to the move. An inventory should always accompany your move.

Can I verify the rates and charges listed by the household good carrier on the estimate?

Yes. You can do so by requesting a copy of the approved tariff from the household goods carrier for comparison.

How can I check out a moving company’s complaint history?

You can call ORS Consumer Services at (803) 737-5230 (within the Columbia area) or toll-free within South Carolina at 1-800-922-1531. Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except state holidays).

What if my move is an interstate move?

All questions and/or complaints regarding interstate moves should be referred to the Federal Highway Administration.

Are carriers required to issue a bill once the move is complete?

Yes, ORS regulations require that the carrier issue a Bill of Lading completely filled out once the move is complete.

Is there any reason I should ask to see the Bill of Lading prior to the move beginning?

Yes, on a uniform Bill of Lading there is an insurance valuation block that has to be completed and signed by the shipper. This is an important item regarding the amount of cargo insurance you have and the opportunity to purchase additional cargo insurance if you wish. If the Bill of Lading does not have this section, you should inquire about the cargo insurance associated with your shipment.

As a consumer, what should I do if I’m not satisfied with my transportation provider’s service?

As a general rule, consumers have the right to file a complaint with a transportation provider. If you are not satisfied with the company’s response, you may choose to file a complaint with the ORS. ORS Consumer Services is available to assist in resolving disputes or inquiries between customers and transportation providers on an informal basis. You may contact ORS Consumer Services by accessing the consumer complaint/inquiry form.

How can I obtain a copy of an annual report for a household goods mover or a hazardous waste carrier?

Annual reports are considered public records (unless protected under the Commission's confidentiality rules) and may be requested by following the procedure outlined in the Freedom of Information Act page on this website.

Sites for moving assistance and complaints