Kiawah Island Utility, Inc. (KIU) filed an application to increase its rates by approximately 14.25% with the Public Service Commission of South Carolina (PSC) in November 2021. If KIU’s application is approved, the average residential consumer’s monthly water and sewer bill could increase by $13.69 per month**, with larger users seeing an even higher dollar amount increase. The case is scheduled to be heard by the PSC in April 2022.
Rate Increase Request Summary
Number of Impacted Consumers*
- 4,368 water customers
- 3,736 sewer customers
*as of 9/30/2021
Total Revenue Requested
Total Revenue Increase Requested ($)
Total Revenue Increase Requested (%)
** Based on a 3/4” meter size and an average monthly usage of 5,000 gallons for a residential customer.
How Can Consumers Participate?
1. Fill out a Letter of Protest on the PSC’s website at PSC.SC.GOV/consumer-info/file-complaint
2. Attend Public Hearings and Testify
Consumers will be able to participate and let the Commissioners hear their concerns.
- Monday, March 21, 2022 at 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Monday, March 21, 2022 at 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM (as needed)
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM (as needed)
- SC Office of Regulatory Staff
- SC Department of Consumer Affairs
- Town of Kiawah Island