A portion of the Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) has been allocated for broadband infrastructure. Expansion of broadband infrastructure will emphasize services to rural communities and communities with a high prevalence of COVID-19 or with demographic characteristics consistent with risk factors for COVID-19. Reimbursable expenditures for infrastructure expansion must be necessary for the COVID-19 public health emergency and must increase capacity for distance learning, telework, or telehealth.
Application and Guidelines
The ORS solicited applications for expanding broadband infrastructure in South Carolina. Applications were not limited to Priority Program Target areas.
- South Carolina Broadband Infrastructure Project Application (PDF)
- South Carolina Broadband Infrastructure Program Application Guidelines (PDF)
- Subrecipient Agreement for Coronavirus Relief Funds (PDF)
- South Carolina Broadband Infrastructure Program Application FAQs (PDF)
Submitting an Application
The ORS accepted applications through 12 AM EST on August 14, 2020. Applicants received an acknowledgment that their application was received and submitted applications are posted below.
Below are applications submitted to the ORS for the Broadband Infrastructure Program:
- Aiken Electric Cooperative, Inc. (PDF)
- Comporium (PDF)
- Farmers Telephone Cooperative, Inc. (PDF)
- Hargray, Inc. (PDF)
- Home Telecom (PDF)
- Horry Telephone Cooperative, Inc. (PDF)
- Lynches River Electric Cooperative, Inc. (PDF)
- Newberry Electric Cooperative, Inc (PDF)
- OneTone Telecom, Inc. (PDF)
- Orangeburg, County of (PDF)
- Sandhill Telephone Cooperative. Inc. (PDF)
- Spectrum (PDF)
- TruVista Communications, Inc. (PDF)
- WC Fiber, LLC. (PDF)
Below are applications submitted to the ORS that upon completion will receive funding for the expansion of broadband infrastructure. Projects can be completed in phases or milestones. Funding of these applications is subject to the completion of a funding agreement with the ORS and the evaluation of any duplication of infrastructure.
The ORS is currently working with applicants to finalize funding agreements. Successful applicants, awardees, and the ORS will use Citrix Sharefile to securely exchange all documents. Upon execution of the Funding Agreement and completion of all required attachments and exhibits, awardees should contact Pam McMullan via email to receive instructions for submitting documents.
- Funding Agreement (PDF)
- Financial Monthly Progress Report Form (PDF)
- Construction Monthly Progress Report Form (PDF)
- Vendor Registration Information (PDF)
- South Carolina Broadband Infrastructure Program Funding Agreement and Program Requirements FAQs (PDF)
Areas of Need
The ORS engaged Revolution D, Inc. to identify areas of the state that are unserved, impacted by COVID-19, and that if broadband were available, would support distance learning, telehealth, and/or teleworking.
Revolution D identified approximately 550 areas (PDF) as having a substantial need for broadband improvement. Of those, approximately 150 areas are designated as priority areas (Priority Program Targets). These priority areas were established based on demographic, socioeconomic, and other attributes (e.g., low-moderate income communities). Program Targets and Priority Program Targets are also available in a list format (.xls) and an Esri-compatible shape file format zip file for GIS-trained technical users.
- Detailed Program Targets Map (PDF)
- Program Targets and Priority Program Targets List (.xls)
- Program Targets GIS Shape File
Any current broadband provider can challenge the designation of unserved; however, any challenge must be supported by evidence that service is being provided throughout the area and not just to a few customers. Challenges must be submitted by August 12, 2020.
|Areas of Need published on ORS website||8/5/2020|
|Application Period Opens||8/5/2020|
|Challenge Period Opens||8/5/2020|
|Challenge Period Closes||8/12/2020|
|Application Period Closes||8/14/2020|
|Submitted Applications posted on ORS website||8/18/2020|
|Construction Progress Report Due||9/15/2020|
|Financial Progress Report Due||10/1/2020|
|Construction Progress Report Due||10/15/2020|
|Financial Progress Report Due||11/1/2020|
|Construction Progress Report Due||11/15/2020|
|Financial Progress Report Due||12/1/2020|
|Final Reporting Due||12/19/2020|